Generally speaking, psychic experiences which deal with receiving information from an outside source, either living or passed on can be classified into the following categories: psychometry, telepathy, clairvoyance, clairaudience, automatic writing and channeling. Two more psychic techniques, assumption and projection, deal with transferring the personality to a remote location.
Psychometry is the art of receiving information about someone by touching an object commonly carried by that person such as a key chain or jewelry. The scope of this paper does not include explaining how psychometry, or any other psychic art is performed, but they do work. I once held someone's keys, closed my eyes and waited for images to appear. Nothing happened. I was miffed and stopped trying to get an image. Then my hands started to itch and suddenly in my mind's eye, I saw boxes being stacked up to form a wall. The man whose keys I was holding was a mason. Another time, I held a woman's ring, closed my eyes and immediately my throat closed up, my chest caught fire and I couldn't breathe. I snapped myself out of it and found that the woman had serious respiratory problems. Her ring was extremely hot when I handed it back to her. These two people were complete strangers I partnered with at a psychic workshop. Psychometry does work, though it may not work all the time, or work for everyone.
Telepathy is more loosely defined. In general, telepathy is a method of receiving information about someone. Telepathy is different from psychometry in that an object is not used. The information pertains to past, present or future events. The way it is transmitted can be visual, as with clairvoyance,...
... middle of paper ...
...g. The CIA became interested because they wanted to know what the Soviets were up to and so they funded the graduates' work for twenty years. Eventually, the CIA stopped funding them and the grad students dabbled in the commodities market. Once again they met with success in eleven out of eleven tries. When asked why they didn't continue and become billionaires, they answered that their remote viewing talents gave them peace of mind, and somehow making money on their talent didn't seem quite right and so they stopped. They are still active in their research at Stanford.
This essay is by no means a conclusive discourse on the variety of psychic phenomena present in the world. Other fascinating abilities exist including everything from telekinesis, raising objects, to raising the dead. That, at least, is one psychic gift no one is practicing at the moment.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Psychic attacks can have a tremendous impact on all aspects of our lives, a psychic attack can undermined our relationships by ripping and tearing apart the very foundation in which we have built our lives upon. I was contacted in March of this year by a young man whose life was gravely impacted and torn apart by a vicious psychic attack. This young man's ordeal started when he approached a psychic that set up shop at a local fair in his hometown, he had never had a psychic reading before and in fact he had often scoffed at the idea of a psychic reading, he probably would've been better off had he never approached this gypsy for a reading.... [tags: Psychic attacks, Psychics,]
2180 words (6.2 pages)
- The Psychic Tradition Methodology The first thing that I did to conduct my research was to brainstorm the various places where I could find both fact and opinion concerning the role that the psychic realm plays within society. The most obvious choice was to visit a practicing psychic. I know of a psychic that works in my hometown of Nashville, Indiana. I tried on several occasions to contact her by phone and request permission for an interview, however, failed to do so. (First bit of knowledge acquired: psychics do not always follow office hours).... [tags: Psychic Essays]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- Often we have conversations with our pets throughout the day. For a non-pet lover, our conversations can seem, well odd. Have you ever wondered if our pets really understand us. It turns out they do. I’ve always been interested in psychic abilities. True, I don’t think I posses any personally, but I’ve had people in my life or even complete strangers tell me something about myself that sent chills down my spine. Often I feel that my pets are trying to let me know how they feel. As a devoted pet owner, I learn to interpret their body language in hopes to understanding what they want.... [tags: Communication, Emotion, Psychic, The Animals]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- Classification of Exercise Partners Every woman's magazine I've ever read gives its readers advice on exercising, and one of the most common tips I've seen is to find a partner to exercise with. In my experience, however, having an exercise partner is not a good idea. I have encountered five types of exercise partners, and I have concluded that it is definitely best to exercise alone. The Drill Sergeant My ex-boyfriend represents the Drill Sergeant. He is one of those people whose motto is "No pain, no gain." Of course, he assumes that everyone else follows this decree as well.... [tags: Classification Essays]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- Are you or do you know someone, experiencing panic attacks or anxiety attacks. If so, it is important to be familiar with what these terms mean. Individuals frequently use panic and anxiety together, however; there are significant differences in the two and understanding the difference will make it easier to comprehend the relationship. Phobias are irrational fears that create interference within an individual’s daily routine. There are individuals who suffer from a phobia linked to pretty much any object or place imaginable.... [tags: Classification Essay]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- ESP is an acronym meaning "extra-sensory perception." In 1892, a French dude named Dr. Paul Joire used the term to describe the way a person under hypnosis was able to receive information about something - apparently without using any of their known senses. ESP can also refer to the phenomenon of people communicating without any apparent vehicle. But what IS it. There have been a great number of attempts (made by an even greater number of stupid people) to articulate what exactly is happening when people report ESP events.... [tags: psychic telepathy esp]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Cynical Classification of Sexual Partners When any thought of cynicism arises, it conjures an image of bitter thirty something divorcees, single alcoholic fathers, or disillusioned old maids. However, this disease is rampant now among "Gen X'ers", and it is certainly no surprise with the miasma of food, cars, money, drugs, and of course sex that assaults early twenties men and women with the frenetic pace of a moving el-train. Yet there is no better example of the reason for American youths cynicism than the meager choice of sex partners in the nineties.... [tags: Expository Classification Essays]
1226 words (3.5 pages)
- Classification Essay - Weight Lifters Entertainment has been an established part of the American culture almost since its founding. The types of entertainment that most Americans enjoy in today's world are going to the movies, going out to eat, and exercising. Different forms of exercise vary from running and playing sports to weight lifting. Those who enjoy weight lifting can choose to do so in the privacy of their home, in a community center like the YMCA, or in a health club. At a health club one can expect to find a wide variety of people; however, some of these people add to the downside of working out at a local health club because they can be annoying and obnoxious.... [tags: Classification Essays Gym Working Out]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- Classifications of Beer What's more refreshing on a hot summer day than an ice cold beer. How about drinking a cold one with some friends at a local bar after a hard day's work, sounds satisfying doesn't it. Beer has been around for hundreds years and will be around for hundreds more. A beer is any variety of alcoholic beverages produced by the fermentation of starchy material derived from grains or other plant sources.... [tags: Classification Essay]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Classification of Beer What's more refreshing on a hot summer day than a nice cold beer. Or how about drinking a nice cold one with some buddies after work at a local bar, sound nice doesn?t it. Beer has been around for many years and will probably be around for many more. A beer is any variety of alcoholic beverages produced by the fermentation of starchy material derived from grains or other plant sources. The production of beer and some other alcoholic beverages is often called brewing. Most every culture has there own tradition and the own take on beer, thus producing many different styles and variations.... [tags: Classification Essays Beer Alcohol Essays]
1307 words (3.7 pages)