Attention Getter: Let’s look ahead fifty years and see what the world is like. Imagine a world that is in total war with no end in sight. The cause behind this war is simple, oil. Everyone is fighting over those last few reserves of oil. How can this future be prevented? The answer is solar power.
Claim: Solar power has the potential to become the United States main supply of energy and replace are needs for more conventional and harmful forms of power generation.
Significance: The United States must face the fact that the world is running out of oil and with today’s rising oil prices, economic and political instability in regions where the United States gets the majority of its oil, this country must begin looking into alternative means of energy to replace oil and end our dependence on foreign powers.
Preview: Today I will discuss the potential that solar power has to become this country’s main supply of energy and the latest research that can make solar power more efficient and cost effective. I will also present the environmental benefits that come with using solar power over other and more harmful forms of energy.
I. With the world’s supply of oil running dry the Unites States must begin looking into new sources of energy, and the most promising is solar power.
A. Scientists predict that in the next several decades the world will run out of oil. According to the article How Fast is the World Running out of Crude Oil by Umut Newbury accessed from the EBSCO Host database states that “world oil production o...
... middle of paper ...
... must be universally adopted, and solar power is the key to unlocking that bright future.
Clayton, Mark. "The Cost of Solar Energy Will Soon Compare with the Cost of Coal." Coal (2011). Print. 18 November 2014.
David, Leonard. "Proposed Satellite Would Beam Solar Power to Earth." 6 April 2012. Space.com. Website. 18 November 2014.
Environmental Health & Engineering, Inc. EMISSIONS OF HAZERDOUS AIR POLLUTANTS FROM COAL- FIRED POWER PLANTS. Environmental Report. Needham, 2011. Print. 18 November 2014.
Hamer, Glenn. "Solar Power Can Help Fuel the Future." Energy Alternatives (2006). Print. 19 November 2014.
Newbury, Umut. "How Fast is the World Running out of Crude Oil." Mother Earth News October 2004: 28. 18 November 2014.
Rotman, David. "Finding a Solar Solution." Technology Review 2 (2012): 48-51. Print. 22 November 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- General Purpose: To Persuade Specific Purpose: To persuade my audience that they should advocate the use of alternative power sources other than nuclear energy. Central Idea: Nuclear energy only contributes a small amount to the world’s electricity yet it has hazards and dangers that far out-way its benefits. There are many other alternative power producing sources that can produce energy more efficiently and more safely than nuclear power plants can. Organization: Monroe’s Motivated Sequence I.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1650 words (4.7 pages)
- 126.96.36.199 Frequency Regulation In a power grid, system operators measure the balance between supply and demand by monitoring system frequency. Failure to operate the system within its required frequency (50 Hz in North America and parts of Asia; 60 Hz in the rest of the world) will result in the disruption of equipment operation, disconnection of power plants and large-scale blackouts. This issue takes on greater importance at high levels of solar power penetration. Importantly, a solar-plus-battery system with power electronics can mimic the characteristics of a synchronous generator to regulate the system frequency.... [tags: Photovoltaics, Solar energy, Nuclear power]
2049 words (5.9 pages)
- When exploring the solar system, which is a better source: solar, or nuclear. One of the first concepts of using the sun as a power source in space, was from the science fiction writer Isaac Asimov (Barber, 2012). It is understood that the research done by Peter Glasser in 1968, provides the science for Assimov's short story from 1941 (Barber, 2012). It was proposed by Glasser, “That solar energy could be collected by earth-orbiting satellites and then beamed to power stations on Earth's surface,” (Committee for the Assessment of NASA's Space Solar Power Investment Strategy, 2001).... [tags: space exploration, solar system, power source]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- TOPIC Why we should use seatbelt when driving a car SPECIFIC PERPOSE To persuade my audience to use the seat belt in car. CENTRAL IDEA There are three reasons why we should use seat belt when driving which are preventing death when an accident occurs, cultivate themselves too not violate the law and protecting our passengers. INTRODUCTION I. Seatbelt is a very important component when we all drive a car or other vehicle. The main purpose of seat belts is to provide greater safety to the driver when driving car but at the moment, people do not care about the importance of wearing seatbelt.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- ... Here in lies a paradox, in the current process, these chemicals have a chance of tainting the drinking water that is being produced. The reason that could happen is because the chemicals are being churned so rapidly which creates a rise in fluid levels. With high fluid levels, these toxic chemicals can easily seep out of the pump and spill out into the surrounding area. No one would want their family or friends’ drinking water that contains high amounts of traces of lethal chemicals that can kill if enough is consumed.... [tags: hydraulic pumps, solar power]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Power plants are used to conserve one resource and make it useful to our economy. These power plants help produce much of the world energy. It saves people money and helps benefit from the resources the world provided has humans. Solar power is the most economically viable power for widespread adoption because wind power and atomic power have a higher risk in widespread consequences. They’re less viable in large quantities to the general public and solar power can be safely and easily generated. Atomic Energy is Nuclear energy and it can be produced in large quantities.... [tags: Nuclear power]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- “I am between a rock and a hard place when it comes to solar power,” states Ted Hilmes, CEO of KAMO Power. “I love the idea of a clean source of energy that does not deplete the earth’s non-renewable resources, but I hate the fact that if solar power were to take over the electric game, KAMO would have to reevaluate how we make our income.” Hilmes shares this opinion with a substantial amount of other energy companies that utilize fossil fuels in order to carry out their day-to-day activities; however, the popularity of solar power is on the rise—whether electric companies are on board with the trend or not.... [tags: Clean Energy, Solar Panels]
1781 words (5.1 pages)
- Present and Future Benefits of Solar Powered Homes Introduction The following is a feasibility study on the need to apply solar power for homes and the benefits to be expected from it. This report contains information on the expected benefits of using solar power for homes in place of traditional methods of power such as electricity and gas. Solar power is beneficial to consumers because it saves them money compared to the increasingly high prices of conventional methods of generation. Solar power is also beneficial to society because it is much safer for our environment than the burning of fossil fuels or the use of nuclear power that is characteristic of gas and electricity power.... [tags: Argumentative persuasive solar power essays]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- Someday, our energy sources are going to run out. What will we do. What can we do. Our major source of energy now is fossil fuel. If that were to run out, there must be an alternate way to get energy. Because of this problem, there has been a lot of research going on. Through that research, alternate ways to get energy have been developed. They include wind energy, solar energy, nuclear energy, tidal energy and many more. In this paper I will focus on the aspects of solar energy. I will look at the history of solar energy, cover the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy and then finally I will talk about the concept of solar energy (how it works) and ways that solar energy can be use... [tags: Energy Sources, Solar Power]
2168 words (6.2 pages)