“Cyber-bullying” involves the use of information and communication technologies such as e-mail, mobile phone text messages, instant messaging, defamatory personal web sites, and personal social networking sites to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behaviour by an individual or group, that is intended to harm one person in particular. It is widely seen as one of the more widespread youth threats on the internet. A somewhat alarming survey of 1500 16-24 year olds conducted in September 2009 by AP-MTV found that (Pure Site, 2011) “50% of youngsters in this age group have experienced digitally abusive behaviour, with older teens aged 18-24 (52% vs. 47%) and females more likely to be targeted (53% vs. 42%). I myself believe if this survey had been conducted a year or two earlier the results would not have been so disturbing. The last 5 years have seen explosive growth in the mobile social networking market, which unquestionably has contributed to survey results such as these.
Ann Frisén, a member of the EU network studying cyber-bullying, concluded that (ScienceDaily, 2011) 'Victims of internet bullying, or cyber-bullying, have no refuge. Victims may be harassed cont...
... middle of paper ...
ScienceDaily (2010). Cyberbullying : A Growing Problem [Internet]. Available at: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100222104939.htm/ [Accessed : 21 December 2011].
National Crime Prevention Council (2010). Cyberbullying [Internet]. Available at: http://www.ncpc.org/cyberbullying/ [Accessed : 03/01/2012].
Pure Site (2011). Cyberbullying Statistics [Internet]. Available at : http://puresight.com/Cyberbullying/cyber-bullying-statistics.html [Accessed 03/01/2012].
BBC News (2010). Stuxnet Worm Hits Iran Nuclear Plant Staff Computers [Internet]. Available at : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11414483 [Accessed 08/01/2012].
NetStrategies (2010). Is Your Computer At Risk From Hackers? [Internet]. Available at : http://www.netstrategies.com/case-studies/is-your-website-at-risk-from-hackers.html [Accessed 09/01/2012]
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Nowadays, every news story involving the Internet is related to it being used as a medium for harm. The media shows a story about a teen rising above cyberbullying, but not about a teen who finds the courage to reveal his or her sexuality because of a welcoming online community. In an era where so many possibilities are open for Internet use, it is inevitable that people will use it harmfully. Stalkers, sexual predators, and identity theft are what define the Internet these days because of the degrading coverage of it by the media.... [tags: media, sexual predators, identity theft]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- Censorship is Necessary to Protect Children from the Internet Do you want our future generations being exposed to violence, hate, sex, illegal substances, and false information, and then one day think it would be cool or alright to try these things. The internet is filled with dangerous information, that children should never have the freedom to access. Children learn from example, and if they search, watch, or read something on the web that could be potentially dangerous, they could be influenced or curious and think that it would be alright to imitate one day.... [tags: Persuasive, Argument, Internet, Censorship]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- Quality Schools International Research Project Atyrau 2010 Directory 1. Introduction 2. Statement of controlling purpose 3. Problem identification 4. History 5. Primary research Surveys Analysis 6. Secondary research 6.1 Structure of the internet 6.2 World dependency Organizations and corporations/ Commercial Internet Education Mass Share of the information Politics Safety (cybercrime, the web economy) 6.3 Impact on personality Specifics Identity, Anonymity and Role Modeling Internet addiction Personality conflicts (and reality vs.... [tags: The Internet]
1723 words (4.9 pages)
- Based on this, it is quite clear the IPv6 will be necessary to address such an influx of devices to the system. As stated in the article “Appliance Science: The Internet of Toasters (and other things)” (2015), many household appliances already have the capability to connect to the Internet through built-in “low-power signals that are similar to the Wi-Fi signals of your existing home network”. All that is needed to connect these devices is a “central gateway” and then devices will be able to talk to one another.... [tags: History of the Internet, Internet, Vint Cerf]
774 words (2.2 pages)
- Have you ever seen the television show on NBC Dateline To Catch a Predator. Well if you haven’t, Chris Hansen, the host of the show, has a set up to catch predators online who are trying to meet younger children and arrest predators for trying to seduce young children. This is just one case of why parents are becoming more worried for their children to be using the Internet. Parents strive to find ways to keep their children safe while using the Internet and there are several ways you can do that right at home by protecting your children, having the computer in a high traffic place, and blocking websites.... [tags: Internet]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- Internet Privacy: Is the Internet Really Safe. With every generation, they bring with them a new invention, to advance us both technologically and scientifically, and thus make life better for us all. Technology, as defined in the New Lexicon Webster’s Dictionary of the English Language, is "the science of technical processes in a wide, though related field of knowledge”. Technology, then can be anything as long as it helps us advance in some way. The technology of the 21st Century is the Internet or cyber space.... [tags: essays research papers]
2544 words (7.3 pages)
- Businesses and people are using Internet for entertainment, e-business and e-commerce, social networking, and communication to the people and business, but there have always been threats to the Internet Security. Internet security is major concern in field of technology, because there are various personal, business and government data on the Internet. Today every businesses and organizations have their own security systems to reach their goals of information security. Internet security systems are created to reduce cyber attack risks, reliability, maintain confidentiality, and compliance with privacy laws and national security laws.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Internet]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Technology is slowly becoming part off society’s daily activities. Once we wake up in the morning with the assistance from our alarm clocks, to the moment we turn off the lights to go to bed, we are regularly reminded that we are now living in a modern world. Technology is present everywhere we turn. One of the most important products of technology is the internet. The World Wide Web (www) is part of almost everyone’s everyday life. In addition to the uses of computers, we can use our hand held devices to access the internet as well.... [tags: technology, internet, games, user]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- All I wanted to do was shop for new shoes online, but instead I was staring at a webpage packed with lewd photographs. I was only 14. I certainly was not looking to be directed to such a vulgar website; however, much to my dismay, I had simply mistyped the URL to a popular sporting goods store and found myself face-to-face with something I was much too young to see. Unfortunately, this happens all too often. A staggering amount of young children are accessing pornographic material online, whether they want to or not.... [tags: Internet Pornography Essays]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Ethics on the Internet In today's society, there are many ethical issues on the Internet. Some of the biggest issues and concerns seem to be hacking and viruses, copyright infringements, spam, privacy, and cyberporn. Internet ethical issues affect a wide variety of individuals and almost all people today are affected in some kind of a way. Until recently, most computer users had not been very concerned with questions of ethics and may not have been aware of something being seen as an ethical issue, but this depends on every individual's position.... [tags: Ethics Internet Computers Essays Papers]
1393 words (4 pages)