Children use the Internet for many reasons for both entertainment and education. The Internet can be a massive help for school work when parents do not have time to help or cannot explain; many children use the Internet to research for school projects, look up unknown information, or get assistance for homework. Many teachers also use the Internet in their classrooms to show educational videos or websites to aid children in comprehending the lesson (Markey). The Internet is also used to be homeschooled or take online classes (Markey), and educational blogs are a great way to get homework help and communicate with others with similar interests (Storm). Children, of course, also use the Internet for entertainment purposes including gaming and social networking. By the age of 12, most children are active on Facebook or some other social media site which is used mostly to communicate with friends and family (Weeden).
Internet use has social benefits such as allowing children to communicate, come together, and express themselves. Even though, a lot of a...
... middle of paper ...
...hese dangers. Parents can also block unwanted or inappropriate sites to protect their kids.
Overall, the Internet does have its benefits and drawbacks, but as a whole it has a positive effect on children’s social and academic well-being. There are quite a few social harms that come along with Internet use, but most of these harms can be easily prevented with limited Internet use, parental controls, and supervision. Also keep in mind that it is a lot easier to find the negatives associated with the Internet than the positives. The Internet has brought about a big transformation in society. Children are now spending more time online, but this is not a negative. The Internet is not taking away or harming children; it is just changing the way kid 's spent their time. The Internet has a positive effect on children because it is an excellent learning and social tool.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As technology advances and becomes available to the public, the average person relies more on the newest efficiency and leaves behind the outdated advancements. Email, Facebook, and mobile phones replaced the need for the Pony Express and many face-to-face conversations. Consequently, people begin to lack the ability to write a formal letter or communicate well in person. In addition to the decline in a person’s ability to do tasks without depending on modern technologies, people become reliant on the speed and immediate satisfaction that the improvements provide.... [tags: Internet, Addiction, Internet access]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- First of all, the Internet, one of the greatest inventions in the history, joined almost all types of telecommunication invented previously such as telephone, radio and television into one, and created new forms of communication such as online text messages, video chatting and social networking. The opportunity of adding and receiving the information on the Internet is one of the aspects stimulating people go online. The simplicity of using the Internet is attracting more and more people in all over the world and the popularity of the Internet is growing even among the youngest aged group of people.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
2323 words (6.6 pages)
- Children of all ages everywhere these days seem to only depend on the internet. The internet is an amazing creation, but people take advantage of it. Since there is internet there is access to all kinds of social media, games, and all sorts of other things. However, because of today’s society internet is one of the only things kids use and go on, whether it’s go on Facebook for hours or watch ridiculous videos on YouTube, the internet is taking a negative turn towards children, their brains, smartness, and attitude.... [tags: internet is a Pandora's box]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- We live in a society that thrives on technology; it is pervasive throughout our daily lives. Everyone seems to have an iPod, cell phone, or laptop with them at all times. We have become a completely connected society with our Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook. It is hard to argue that technology hasn’t improved our lives through medicine, communication, and entertainment. Our children face an increasing number of dangers on the Internet. Sexual predators, cyber bullying, and pornography are the most prevalent dangers our children face on the Internet; the best way to protect them is to be an involved and informed Parent.... [tags: Internet Safety]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Human’s life has changed. Most of the people have come to cities instead of towns. Kids spend most of their time inside houses either watching TV or playing computer and maybe do their homework. Internet is one of the most recent changes in the last two decays. Not surprisingly, this new phenomenon is perhaps one of the greatest inventions of the last century, but unfortunately this occurrence has made some negative impact on our society and children. Teenagers are the most common group of society who can get artificial by the internet.... [tags: Internet]
775 words (2.2 pages)
- The world we live in absolutely loves the convenience of the mighty powerful internet. We, as a society, have actually become addicted to this lovable convenience. Some say the internet has brought them close to certain people and others will say it has driven them away from certain people. The internet has consumed the lives of many children. From video games to facebook, our children have found the necessity to log into the addiction on a daily basis. The usage of internet has consumed the lives of children as early of ages of five.... [tags: Internet, Pornography, Addiction, Online chat]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- For the past decade or two, Internet is a channel that promotes an access to information and communication in the global world. It is one of the most powerful tool. Now-a-days, an access to the internet has become easier than ever, whether we are using a computer, phone or tablets. There is no doubt that people are spending more and more time online. Because many people use the internet for their career and education, it is hard to differentiate between the normal usage and excessive usage of the internet.... [tags: Internet, Addiction, Pornography, Internet access]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- The Internet has forever changed the lives of society and the way we interpret each other in positive and negative ways. Emails become a new way of communication with instant messaging. Advertising reaches more audiences while in all businesses created more jobs for such program. The Internet enables convenience giving users instant information anytime of a day. Now it is incorporated into most workplaces, homes and schools. There are many benefits the internet provides and also many negative ones as well.... [tags: Internet, Instant messaging]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Recommendations One point that Chase specifically mentioned as important was “Keeping user profiles limited so that software cannot be installed and the continual monitoring of files and emails for inappropriate content.” There is, however, an unfortunate side effect to this monitoring. Legitimate and useful sites are also being blocked to both student and teachers of the Phoenix Elementary School District (PESD). In the United States, Kindergarten-12th grade schools are required by law to add filters to blocks sites obscene and harmful to minors.... [tags: Internet]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- Pornography is a large issue in the United States and is especially debated within the Constitutional right of freedom of speech. The current law on pornography in America is that anyone under the age of eighteen who accesses pornographic material is subject to persecution. There are many arguments on both sides of the debate, including: a modified age for legal pornography access. This argument emphasizes the fact that if we want to be a truly free country, there should be no limitations on what we watch.... [tags: Internet Pornography]
750 words (2.1 pages)