Critical Thinking-The Equation of Life
Abstract: Critical thinkers are active in their process of the mind. Many times people use critical thinking and do not realize we are even doing so. Critical thinking/logic has had a long history in math. This critical and systemic process is used for problem solving, evaluation, analysis, and synthesis. In this paper I will discuss the history of critical thinking and how we use critical thinking in the form of mathematical applications.
Critical Thinking-The Equation of Life
Critical thinking is a vital element in arithmetic. It separates those that can do calculations to those that cannot. Through repetition and memorizing, learners grow into more assured students. Scholars who have been taught to think analytically about arithmetic can explain how a method works, often not only solving the problem, but also clarifying the reasoning behind the practice they used to reach a resolution.
Critical Thinking’s Past-
The academic origins of critical thinking are as ancient as time itself, distinguishable, to the philosophical roots and ideas of Socrates. Socrates, who was a Greek philosopher and the main source of Western thought 2,500 years ago. Socrates believed that people often mixed up implications, insufficient data, or illogical beliefs often hidden by mostly blank grandiloquence behaviors. Socrates proved that one cannot be influenced by those in "power" to have complete understanding and vision of life’s critical thoughts. Socrates validated that people may hold a position in power yet be genuinely disorderly and illogical. Establishing the significance of asking profound inquiries that review strongly the analysis of the problem and thought before we accept ideas as wort...
... middle of paper ...
...fiable evidence. “It’s no longer about what a student knows, it’s about what they can do with what they know,” assistant superintendent Kimberly Beck said, according to The Ridgefield Press (Wilson, 2013).
In summation, Arithmetic is no longer simply a solitary subject in and of itself. Rather, its integration into multiple aspects of everyday life in the 21st century – from the use of apps, Facebook, medical technology to the paying of bills and counting money –Critical thinking is a thought process and necessity- Critical thinking in terms should be use to show students how it can be included with other matters/thought processes and futuristic ideals. Critical thinking is essential in a world that often lacks common sense, irrational thought, and a discourse through thought. It would be ideal to teach this in a way that would foster growth in our future scholars.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- To describe Critical Thinking (CT) as a “Higher-order skill” is to put it mildly. After spending twelve hours reading this week’s assigned articles and a great deal more on the subject of CT, I still feel like a first-grader being asked to solve a calculus equation. To paraphrase Tim van Gelder, learning CT skills is hard and a life-time journey. It is not enough to know the concepts, the student must actively practice CT themselves to improve their understanding (2004). I first became a critical thinker in third grade, after moving to London.... [tags: Critical thinking, Problem solving, Thought]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- If one were to ask a group of high school seniors questions like, “Who was the first U.S. president?” or, “What equation is associated with the Pythagorean Theorem?” they would likely discover that the majority of the students would answer correctly. However, if one were to pose the questions, “Why did the Civil War occur?” or, “Why are international trade relations between other countries important to the U.S.?” they would receive fragmented responses at best; few students would be able to provide clear and concise answers.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
1322 words (3.8 pages)
- ... I based the length of my meeting requests on some vague basic information that I had of each person and their current job within the organization. I am sad to say that I completely underestimated one particular employee. Though she had been with the company for a number of years, the employee was fairly new to her current roll and has widely broadcast to others that she will be 70 years old this year and is looking forward to making her retirement announcement. As a detailed examination of the identification of assumptions shows, when going from the theory of critical thinking to the praxis of producing and evaluating arguments, the critical person will inevitably make such commitments f... [tags: putting emotions aside]
1047 words (3 pages)
- Linear Equation Lesson Plan Linear equations are used in everyday life without much thought. However, when students are first learning to set up and solve a linear equations, it seems to be a difficult task for most. There are three main formulas a student needs to keep in mind when solving a linear equation. Beyond the formulas, the most important aspect of a linear equation is the slope. In the State of West Virginia, Math 1, which is usually comprised of ninth graders, is where these standards are taught and learned.... [tags: math, home entertainment, Dish Network®.]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- What is critical thinking. What comes to mind when you think of it and try to break down what it is. Critical thinking is best described by The critical thinking community as aka (cct) “Critical thinking is that mode of thinking — about any subject, content, or problem — in which the thinker improves the quality of his or her thinking by skillfully analyzing, assessing, and reconstructing it. Critical thinking is self-directed, self-disciplined, self-monitored, and self-corrective thinking.” Critical thinking can be defined as three important elements.... [tags: Critical thinking, Thought, Reasoning, Logic]
1168 words (3.3 pages)
- Throughout our lives, we are bombarded with information of many different kinds. Whether found on the computer, seen through television, heard on the radio, read in a book, or told to us by another person, we are inundated with more claims, ideas, and arguments than can be counted. How does one decide what claims are true, what ideas make sense, or what arguments are convincing though. One way to rationally sort through things that we are skeptical of is by using critical thinking. By thinking through the logic behind an argument or the truth of a claim or premise, it is possible to help choose what claims, ideas, or arguments to accept.... [tags: Critical thinking, Thought, Logic, Mind]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- We often refer to critical thinking as someone who can think very clearly, with reason and complex ideas. This is somewhat true. Yes that does help to begin and mend a critical thinker but critical thinking also includes a combination of skills. Those main characteristics are self awareness, honesty, open-mindedness discipline, and judgment. Using these characteristics daily and with practice develops an amazing critical thinker. That person can live life solving hard problems, creating new ways of solving them, and using new ideas and techniques when needed.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- The concepts of critical thinking and creative thinking are both gaining increasing importance in the world today. Critical thinking allows people to understand difficult concepts in a manner that is clearer and more defined. They can more readily understand those concepts if they employ critical thinking. In all portions of everyday life, a person is expected to make independent judgments. Those judgments are based on experience and knowledge. Without the ability to think critically, every situation that a person comes across would have to be considered in isolation from all other situations.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- Critical thinking occurs when a person thinks about a subject or problem to where the improvement of the quality of ones own thinking using skillful analogies, then assessing and reconstructing them. A few important skills that is learned through critical thinking is learning how to discipline oneself in thinking, understanding the world as well as learning themselves. Critical thinking in the business world has many benefits in the process of decision making by employers as well as employees. The manager faced a problem at RSc a few weeks back when an employee came to work half drunk.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
701 words (2 pages)
- Critical Thinking Application Critical thinking is the art of thinking in a manner that is critical. This means that prior to making a decision one must be informed about possible repercussions and/or outcomes, this is particularly true in the case of both employers and an employees. A decision maker must be willing to “choose how to respond to opportunities and problems on the basis of a simplified and approximate account of the situation” (George & Jones, 2005, pg 475), while a stakeholder (in this case an employee) must be willing and able to complete any task that is put before him or her.... [tags: Critical Thinking Decision]
763 words (2.2 pages)